Search This Site

Loading

Saturday, July 28, 2012

Limousine Liberals Score Another Big Tax Break

Mr. & Ms. Bezos
AP, from Guardian UK

I support the same-sex marriage push as an important civil-rights issue of our time. If I were more widely read, I would probably remain mum on the Amazon CEO's hefty donation to the cause:
Jennifer Cast, a former Amazon employee who is a lesbian and the volunteer finance co-chair for Washington United for Marriage, emailed Jeff Bezos Sunday asking him to donate between $100,000 and $200,000 to the effort...

Cast received a reply Tuesday night, that said: "Jen, this is right for so many reasons. We're in for $2.5m. Jeff & MacKenzie."
- Amazon CEO Jeff Bezos pledges $2.5m to same-sex marriage in Washington
I can't imagine myself winning any friends in any bloc for bringing it up, but perhaps (bright-side!) I polish my curmudgeon cred.

Issues traditionally championed by the left are, obviously, taking quite the beating in the 21st Century, with the notable exception of LGBT rights - and, lest I repeat myself, good: Any civil-rights protections that can be eked out for any of us, strengthens and protects all of us. One question, however, that has been brought out in sharper relief since the #Occupy phenomenon asks the age-old question, "At what cost?"

The parameters of this debate are simple. Do we petition our corrupt "masters" for redress, or should they be run over with The People's revolution? Simple, but less clear for special-interest liberal blocs that can spot perfectly accessible levers of change in the near-horizon of the status-quo, and they can be excused for leaning on those levers. For all of the setbacks, gay rights advocates have been successfully exploiting this approach, and more power to them.

But at what cost? The "professional left," skewered by Tom Wolfe back in 1970 (Radical Chic & Mau-Mauing the Flak Catchers, penned in contemplation of another civil-rights issue), has grown even more powerful, and become even more of an impediment to actual, systemic change in this age of Golden Calf worship. Who personifies the professional left more than the likes of Bezos and their lucrative embrace of this version of the "American Dream?" Amazon.com (my monetized link to Wolfe's book notwithstanding) is hardly pure in its business practices, when viewed through the lens of liberal aspirations.

So I bleat from my relatively obscure soap-box, do our LGBT friends do us any favors by soliciting this help, and in achieving their admirable goals, with the help of such "friends?"

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.