Search This Site

Loading

Monday, October 3, 2011

#OccupyWallStreet, Day 17 - They Can't Take That Away From Me Edition


[Update: Great article: These Cops Were On Our Side, by Kristen Gwynne.]

[Update, here it is: Live Blog of #OccupyWallStreet: Day Seventeen, The Occupation is the Message]

(Liveblogging continues from yesterday's Live Blog of #OccupyWallStreet: Day Sixteen, Aftermath of 700 Arrested on the Brooklyn Bridge. Will post new thread when it appears. In the meantime...)

I don't know if you realize what you have done. Let me try to explain.

(An awkward poem from a scarred old heart, reluctantly beating.)

They can kill every #occupier, they can poison them all, machine-gun 'em down, demoralize and deflate the movement (they won't!)
Cynicism can prevail,
Dancing With The Stars enrapt the country, Fox News elect Governor Palin as the new clown President or - fuck it! - arrest LiLo again (they might!)
Some asshole can ignite a suitcase nuke, Patraeus can direct the domestic division of the CIA the FBI your local police precinct to knock down the doors of every Firebagger, Facebook iconoclast, every blogger and tweeter.
Sure, let them go ahead and shut down the nascent independent media of the Internet (they won't!) Go ahead!

Frankly the movement itself could even, at this point, throw in the towel (it won't!) No matter.

Because what I have seen, already, human beings, is enough. Looks like you have more, so sail on goddammit, if you can, if you must (of course you must!) But, personally, you have already done enough. Enough!

Against every bitter judgment that I have, my heart has been blessed by you, my brothers and sisters, by you, the human race. Thanks to you, my despair has been washed away.

In my lifetime, my soul has been nourished beyond my wildest dreams. While I have always held for an expansive view of the evolution of the human race, what I have witnessed these days has been more than I expected to see - in my life.

I thank you all. With extreme prejudice.

#OccupyEverywhere!



No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.