Search This Site

Loading

Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Earth Words

Cheny/Bush

I like words. I also like thoughtful neologisms. (I once triumph-ally coined a word - benefficient - over 30 years ago, while naively working on a "new" philosophy book, an endeavor long since abandoned. That word has apparently been re-coined, with a definition similar enough to my own - re-coined, as I doubt that the few, if any, times I'd uttered it gave it any traction.)

Anyway, I just wanted to share these Glenn Albrecht neologisms, discussed in this Nation of Change article, When Words Fail: Does a Warming World Need a New Vocabulary?
  • solastalgia - "a term that describes the angst you might feel when the environment around you starts to change, whether because of coal-mining or drought or flooding."
  • soliphilia - “the solidarity needed between people to actually restore and repair damaged environments.”
  • eutierria - "a feeling of elation or oneness with the Earth, something you might experience on a hike or in the garden or when dipping into an ocean breaker."
  • ecoparalysis - “the inability, due to fear or hopelessness, to respond to environmental problems.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.