Once again via emptywheel, a disturbing article by Bruce E. Levine at AlterNet, 8 Reasons Young Americans Don't Fight Back: How the US Crushed Youth Resistance:
Crushed Memories (writing)by Gisèle Bédard
Traditionally, young people have energized democratic movements. So it is a major coup for the ruling elite to have created societal institutions that have subdued young Americans and broken their spirit of resistance to domination.I don't know, if "they" were saying those kinds of things about me, well, you know...
Young Americans—even more so than older Americans—appear to have acquiesced to the idea that the corporatocracy can completely screw them and that they are helpless to do anything about it...
I'll list the bullet points here. Some are a little counterintuitive or complicated, so of course go read the whole thing to see the author's case.
How exactly has American society subdued young Americans?
- Student-Loan Debt.
- Psychopathologizing and Medicating Noncompliance
- Schools That Educate for Compliance and Not for Democracy.
- “No Child Left Behind” and “Race to the Top.”
- Shaming Young People Who Take Education—But Not Their Schooling—Seriously.
- The Normalization of Surveillance.
- Fundamentalist Religion and Fundamentalist Consumerism.