Search This Site

Loading

Monday, August 22, 2011

WikiLeaks Data Destroyed?!

Wikileaks

Kevin Gosztola at FireDogLake has a mind-blowing post up regarding the encrypted WikiLeaks data that has been held in abeyance. It, and the encryption keys, have apparently been destroyed, by estranged WikiLeaks co-founder Daniel Domscheit-Berg.
According to reporter Holger Stark of the German news organization Der Spiegel, Domscheit-Berg told Stark some time on August 20 that the cache was gone forever...

On August 19, DDB confirmed...[that] the files would, under supervision of a notary, be deleted. The deletion would also be confirmed with an affidavit.
And some of that data was information damning Bank of America:
WikiLeaks confirmed on Twitter on Sunday that the cache included the following: US intercept arrangements for over a hundred internet companies and 5 GB of files from the Bank of America. People asking when WikiLeaks will release the Bank of America data has become a regular occurrence. Now, if what WikiLeaks says is true, there will never be a release of BofA data and the Big Bank can now breathe one giant sigh of relief.
I am not a journalist, so I need not be as circumspect as others. My take? This is how it's done. The power of these people, and their money, is truly breathtaking.

I find it very hard to believe that there are not other copies, even with a notary and affidavit involved, and on that I will keep my fingers crossed. (Who would trust this Domscheit-Berg's "affidavit" anyway?)

Click on over to Kevin's very detailed and interesting article for the story.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.