Search This Site

Loading

Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Chris Hedges: Hope

For our modern times:
I cannot promise you fine weather or an easy time. I cannot assure you that thousands will converge on Lafayette Park in solidarity. I cannot pretend that being handcuffed is pleasant. I cannot say that anyone in Congress or the White House, anyone in the boardrooms of the corporations that cannibalize our nation, will be moved by pity to act for the common good. I cannot tell you these wars will end or the hungry will be fed. I cannot say that justice will roll down like a mighty wave and restore our nation to sanity. But I can say this: If we resist and carry out acts, no matter how small, of open defiance, hope will not be extinguished. If all we accomplish is to assure a grieving mother in Baghdad or Afghanistan, a young man or woman crippled physically and emotionally by the hammer blows of war, that he or she is not alone, our resistance will be successful. Hope cannot be sustained if it cannot be seen.

I have to to admit that, being of a certain age, that "protest" and "sit-in" and "chaining oneself to the [insert object here]" leave a bit of a cynical bad taste in my mouth.

On the other hand, the greedheads really hate that stuff. And, so...

2 comments:

  1. Your Favorite BartenderDecember 4, 2010 at 6:59 PM

    The Greedheads don't hate that shit, the Greedheads don't care. Though the more people get arrested the more public service (i.e. police, jail staff, etc) jobs are created...so you've got that going for you. Protesting to keep hope alive? Seems as pointless as "motivating people." You can't motivate someone else, you can only motivate yourself and hope others will motivate themselves...you can't "keep hope alive" you can only hope yourself, and explain to others what you are hoping for...and hope they hope the hope that you hope...this isn't going well...

    ReplyDelete
  2. "...this isn't going well..."

    No, it isn't.

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.