Search This Site

Loading

Thursday, October 15, 2009

Media Spin (And Me, Again).


Part 1

I really should start another blog if I'm going to post about me - except that I can't seem to keep up with just one. So scratch that idea for now.

As I note on YouTube.com, where these are posted, this is a great example of media misinformation. They had a story (overqualified professionals forced to flip burgers), and a guy who happened to be a programmer for a few decades and is, in fact, flipping burgers late in life. While I explained that I wasn't the "hard-luck case" that they were looking for, all I got were blank stares and friendly smiles as they filmed/interviewed me. (For the record: I voluntarily "dropped out" of the corporate scene a few years ago, before the economic meltdown.)

When they were finished with the editing - voila! - they had an "overqualified professional forced to flip burgers." (Though I did get to say "greedheads" on the tee vee. Hee.) This is not the most egregious example, of course - the story does exist out there, many times over I'm sure. But it is, at the least, journalistic laziness to just use yours truly as a stand-in for that.

I am Joe The Plumber.

(And I really am loving the shit out of flipping the burgers.)


Part 2

2 comments:

  1. I meant the comment that I left under "Portland" to go here. More in keeping with the theme here though the sentiment is still the same. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I got an extra comment out of it, didn't I? Rare coinage 'round these parts :).

    ReplyDelete

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.