Search This Site

Loading

Friday, September 5, 2008

Well, Lookie Here

US Constitution

(I first considered using the beautiful Rousseau image that Words of Power used for their post, but this is an update to an earlier post on the Constitution.)

In an earlier post, I made some reference to what I consider imperfections in the U.S. Constitution, with the hope that the march of post-Enlightenment documents would continue to evolve as regards to "civil protections." I didn't go into details, nor will I here, but I will say that I consider the enshrinement of the "right to property" a problem.

In any case, it seems that Ecuador is blowing past me on this issue (thanks, Words of Power).
Ecuador's proposed constitution includes an article that grants nature the right to "exist, persist, maintain and regenerate its vital cycles, structure, functions and its processes in evolution" and will grant legal standing to any person to defend those rights in court.

[snip]

Art. 1. Nature or Pachamama
[Ed. - loosely translated as "Mother Earth"], where life is reproduced and exists, has the right to exist, persist, maintain and regenerate its vital cycles, structure, functions and its processes in evolution.
Every person, people, community or nationality, will be able to demand the recognitions of rights for nature before the public organisms. The application and interpretation of these rights will follow the related principles established in the Constitution....
Read the details, the whole thing seems pretty extraordinary.

I'm liking the trends in America del Sur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.