Search This Site

Loading

Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The ______ War Exception To The Fourth Amendment

Civilian Gunner SWAT
Image snagged from WallpaperGate.com
When the Nazis came for the communists,
I remained silent;
I was not a communist.

When they locked up the social democrats,
I remained silent;
I was not a social democrat.

When they came for the trade unionists,
I did not speak out;
I was not a trade unionist.

When they came for the Jews,
I remained silent;
I wasn't a Jew.

When they came for me,
there was no one left to speak out.

- Pastor Martin Niemöller
Before the Infamous Date that whiplashed America's attention and helped in the consolidation of corporate power, I was a fairly vocal critic of the "War on Drugs." A particularly galling aspect of that charade, which of course still goes on, is the "Drug War exception" to the Bill of Rights.

Looking back, that was kid stuff. Now we're really in it.

I hope that all of you people that didn't "have anything to worry about" because you didn't, after all, have flushable contraband at your house can now see that the ratchet of oppression has now clicked to include your sorry asses as well.

It is not far off, and legally it is doable now, that when some government or corporate individual feels threatened by your poignant criticism, you may now be arrested and interrogated for Hating Amerika. After you explain to the kind officials that, yes, you actually were thinking about blowing up X, you can join the hundreds of thousands of non-violent drug offenders in their state-sponsered digs.

Free room and board! Woo hoo!

Now go watch American Idol and keep your fucking mouth shut.


Update: Firedoglake has a petition for you to sign urging the House to stand behind the the RESTORE Act:
...The House's RESTORE Act is an infinitely superior bill...

...We urge Democratic House members to stand firm behind the bill they passed and not capitulate once again to the bullying, manipulative demands of the Bush administration for ever-greater unchecked power, as embodied by the warrantless eavesdropping and telecom immunity provisions of the Senate bill.
Sounds good to me. Sign it. Because you care, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.