Search This Site

Loading

Monday, June 25, 2007

What She Said

Excerpt of Barbara O'Brien posting at Crooks and Liars:
...I’ve been hearing this charge my whole long life. In the 1960s, it was “Why don’t you dirty bleeping hippies protest the Communists?”

I can’t speak for the “international press,” but for me, the answer is “because I’m a patriot.”

[snip]

...It is what a
patriot does.

I concede I haven’t blogged much about human rights abuses in Iran. I haven’t blogged much about human rights abuses in China, Cuba, Uzbekistan, or the Central African Republic, either...

But when I think my country is abusing human rights, I blog about it. I do this because I think I’m more directly responsible for what my country does than for what some other country does...
This is why writers, be they bloggers or otherwise, are so important. I thank Barbara for eloquently and succinctly making the point. This is a rhetorical arrow I gratefully add to my own quiver of persuasion. Without shame, I admit that I will steal this work of hers.

Peruse her always insightful blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.