Search This Site

Loading

Sunday, June 10, 2007

A Perception Problem, And Shaken Belief

Colin Powell on Meet The Press today (emphasis mine):
Guantanamo has become a major, a major problem for America’s perception as it’s seen, the way the world perceives America.

[snip]

...And so I would get rid of Guantanamo and I’d get rid of the military commissions system, and use established procedures in federal law or in the manual for courts martial. I would do that because I think it’s more equatable and it’s more understandable in constitutional terms.

(Ya think? Gee, thanks for that, Colin).
But I’d also do it because every morning I pick up a paper and some authoritarian figure, some person somewhere, is using Guantanamo to hide their own misdeeds.

And so essentially we have
shaken the belief that the world had in America’s justice system...

See, it's all about the perceptions and beliefs the world has about America. Look, I know this is an important and persuasive point to offer amoral, knuckledragging, realpolitik trolls, but I really would appreciate more mention of the fact that it's just fucking wrong to treat human beings that way. The world isn't having a perception problem here, they are clearly seeing evil behaviour. Like, it's really happening.

If only the world would just perceive us the way these bedwetters do, if they would just understand that this is the only way to prosecute the "War on Terror," why, then, this would be a non-issue.

Asshat.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.