Search This Site

Loading

Saturday, May 12, 2007

Björk Gets It - Volta



I can't buy much music anymore due to financial hardship, but I cannot resist Björk. (Indeed, after a listen and a rip, I have offered it up for sale. Update: Damn, that was fast - sold before I finished this post.) I don't intend to turn this blog into a critic's column, but I have to give a shout-out to her fantastic record - especially the first two tracks. Sonically, it is beautiful, and a return to earlier form (I personally like all of her work, but I understand how her experimentalism sometimes exasperates fans.) Once again, however, it is her lyrics and how she shapes her emphatics and syllables that reveal the heart of her creative messages.

Björk gets it, and she is very, very frustrated with the rest of us. Listening to her, one can almost feel her emerging from a primordial ooze, Mother Nature tut-tutting us with the voice of an angel - an angel who is very beautiful when she is angry:
metallic carnage
ferocity
feel the speed!

we are the earth intruders
we are the earth intruders
flock of parashooters
necessary voodoo

- from
earth intruders

And, from wanderlust:
lust for comfort
suffocates the soul
this relentless restlessness
liberates me
i feel at home whenever
the unknown surrounds me
i receive its embrace
aboard my floating house

What she said. What a beautifully poetic way to express the necessary agony of the insecurity of life.

The penultimate track, declare independence, reminds me of some of John Lennon's great avant-punk protest music. It is simple, and it is in your face. And, in another desperate attempt to lash the two artists together, I note that she ends the record with a melancholy paean to parenthood, my juvenile, something that Lennon did on side one of Double Fantasy.

The woman is a deadly mix of creativity and awareness. Listen to her. She can make you understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.