Search This Site

Loading

Saturday, March 31, 2007

Arthur Again...

Arthur Silber once again waxes passionate. He often simultaneously embodies despair and hope in his writing, and he does not disappoint here.

He highlights astute observations by Matt Taibi over at AlterNet, who does a credible job filleting our spineless representatives in Washington, and Arthur goes on to compare that body with two exemplary and courageous members of Congress past - Senator Robert La Follette and Speaker Thomas B. Reed - a comparison which does none of our contemporary legislative representatives any credit. I would also like to note that I am ashamed that I did not know of these two true American heroes - of course, their absence in the usual public schooling on American history is no doubt deliberate, but that is no excuse.

I urge you to go and read these essays. They go a long way in instilling some glimpse of just how important it is to stand up against popular sentiment when necessary. They also, tragically, demonstrate just how futile it can be. But then again, this tragic fact only polishes the trophy of nobility we should confer to such actors.

This was a tough read with my first cup of coffee. Damn and praise to you, Arthur.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I welcome all reactions and points of view, so comments here are not moderated. Cheerfully "colorful" language is great. I'll even tolerate some ad hominem directed against me... each other, not so much. Racist or excessively abusive comments (or spam) will be deleted at my discretion.